"Antz" Movie :: Ants
Can you tell the difference between fact and fiction?
- Ant colonies are characterized by the following classes (castes) of ants:
- queen, worker ants and soldier ants
- queen, sterile female ants and reproductive male ants
- queen, princess (young queen), worker ants, soldier ants and general ants
- The male's job is to _______________.
- protect the queen against intruders
- mate with young queens on their mating flight
- gather food to feed the queen
- Worker ants are _______________.
- all males
- all females
- either males or females
- A queen's main job is to _______________.
- protect the colony
- rule the colony
- lay eggs
- The males _______________ after mating with the queens.
- become the kings
- join the army and become soldier ants
- die shortly
- After mating, the queen ant _______________.
- replaces the "old" queen
- becomes an "extra" queen in the same colony
- starts a new colony
- die shortly
- As the queen lays her eggs, she may or may not fertilize them with sperm deposited by the male. If she does then the fertilized eggs develop into _______________.
- either male or female
- Ants go through _______________ stages of development.
- three (3): egg, larva and adult
- three (3): egg, nymph and adult
- four (4): egg, larva, pupa and adult
- Ants lack _______________.
- a brain
- a heart
- lungs and ears